The Free University Berlin (Freie Universität Berlin) invites applications for its undergraduate FU-BEST (Berlin European Studies) program for Spring 2015 and beyond. This program is offered to UC students through EAP (UC Education Abroad Program).
Based on the U.S. academic calendar, FU-BEST offers a strong intensive German language program, covering all levels, as well as an exciting menu of almost 30 content courses taught mostly in English but also in part in German.
There is no language prerequisite for participation in this program, but all participants are obligated to enroll on-site in German language training at their particular level.
The content courses cover topics from a variety of disciplines, ranging from political science, history, philosophy, and sociology to music history, architecture, film studies, marketing/management, environmental studies, sociology, and art history.
Every semester features a week-long off-site excursion (in the case of Spring 2015, the participant group will be divided in two and will travel to Strasbourg/Paris and London, respectively), as well as many local field-trips, cultural events, and related opportunities.
Participants are housed in homestays or single-occupancy apartments, but may also opt out of these choices if they set up their own housing sufficiently in advance of the program.
Starting with the Spring 2015 semester, the program plans to add two new courses, on film music and on women’s studies (both in transatlantic perspective), to its already broad curriculum.
- Class Level: Sophomore, Junior, Senior
- Language Prerequisites: German: The University-level language requirement is: minimum 0 quarters / 0 semesters and maximum 5 quarters / 3 semesters.
- GPA: 2.85 cumulative GPA at the time of application and maintained through the end of the last term prior to departure.
All applicants must also have:
- Serious academic goals and a clear plan for integrating EAP studies into the student’s UC degree program.
- Social, interpersonal, and cross-cultural sensitivity; maturity; willingness to adapt successfully to different living and academic environments; appropriate behavior in a variety of situations.
- A willingness to abide by program regulations.
- Completed all campus- and program-specific requirements
- Application deadlines and information on the application process are available through the Campus EAP Office. Supplemental pre-departure materials will be required for many programs, including, but not limited to, host institution applications, visa and housing applications, medical clearances, etc.
- After selection by your UC Campus EAP Office, final admission is determined by FU-BEST.
- The FU-BEST program operates within logistical enrollment limitations. Keep in mind that course enrollment is carried out on a first-come-first-served basis. As a result, a) applying early is always a good idea and b) you may not get every course you select as your top choice(s).
- Application files can also be accepted via e-mail in PDF-format, as long as the files are complete in all respects and contain all necessary signatures on the various pages.
There are specific UC deadlines on each campus for this program that differ from the deadlines on our FU-BEST website! For further information, please contact your campus EAP office (http://ieo.ucla.edu/uceap). December of every year. Please check the website for details.
Dr. Dirk Verheyen
ERG Universitätsservice GmbH
Im Auftrag von / on behalf of
Freie Universität Berlin
European Studies Program (FU-BEST)
Malteserstraße 74-100, Haus S
12249 Berlin, Germany
P. +49 (30) 838 56582
F. +49 (30) 838 57582