This program provides grants to colleges and universities to fund individual doctoral students to conduct research in other countries in modern foreign languages and area studies for periods of six to 12 months.
Students may propose research for six to 12 months. This fellowship may not be renewed. A final report is due from each fellow 90 days after the end of the grant period. Students should contact their institution’s project director for electronic reporting instructions.
Expenses covered by the award are:
- Travel expenses, including excess baggage to and from the residence of the fellow to the host country of research
- Maintenance and dependent(s)’ allowances based on the cost of living in country or countries of research for the fellow and his or her dependent(s)
- Project allowance for research related expenses such as books, copying, tuition and affiliation fees, local travel, and other incidental expenses
- Health and accident insurance premiums
- An administrative fee of $100 to applicant institution
Institutions of higher education in the United States are eligible to apply for grants under the Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad Program. Students must apply through their institutions. A student is eligible to receive a fellowship if he or she meets all of the following criteria:
- Is a citizen or national of the United States or is a permanent resident of the United States.
- Is a graduate student in good standing at an institution of higher education in the United States who, when the fellowship begins, is admitted to candidacy in a doctoral program in modern foreign languages and area studies at that institution.
- Is planning a teaching career in the United States upon graduation.
- Possesses adequate skills in the language(s) necessary to carry out the dissertation project
- Students must apply through their institutions
- The online application website is only available for limited periods. Please reference the maintenance schedule on the e-application website (http://www.g5.gov)
- UCLA Internal Review Deadline: May of every year. *Please note: Applications must also adhere to specific time-of-day restritctions. Please check the website for details.
• Submit online application and bring 2 paper copies to Campus Coordinator at 1228 Murphy Hall
• Final Campus Deadline/Revision Deadline: June of every year. *Please note: Applications must also adhere to specific time-of-day restritctions. Please check the website for details.
All applicants and their recommenders must follow the final campus deadline
UCLA Fellowships and Financial Services
1228 Murphy Hall
P. (310) 825-1025