The German-American Internship Program was founded by the Steuben-Schurz-Gesellschaft e.V. and the U.S. Consulate General Frankfurt. The Hessen Ministry of Higher Education, Research and the Arts, our Sponsors, Partners are cooperating. Employers strengthen the transatlantic program and intercultural understanding by providing study-related internships to German and US students.
Established in 1999 – as the only non-profit initiative of its kind – participating students as well as companies providing this unique opportunity profit profoundly from on-the-job experience and the building of international leadership skills. Nothing may change a life’s path like early experience. Our program, furthermore, assist the development of future global leaders by encouraging the students to do an internship (8 weeks to 6 months) with an American or a German host employer.
The SSG has acquired the support of numerous organizations, institutions, companies and individuals on both sides of the Atlantic willing to provide foreign students with internship opportunities. The positions cover a broad range of fields including business, international relations, engineering, PR, media, the natural sciences and the humanities in both the non-profit and for-profit sectors.
The internships typically last 2-3 months and take place during the summer. In some instances, internships during the academic year are available. The level of the tasks to be completed depends upon how advanced the students are in their studies and their language abilities.
Selected candidates may expect a wide range of services:
- Matching employers and candidates
- Post-match coordination between employers and applicants
- Information for German work permit waiver and US visa. NB: There is no guarantee for any kind of visa.
- Orientation seminar: intercultural workshop, official reception and ceremony
- Point of contact for participants before, during, and after their internship
- Assistance in writing a professional cover letter and resume
- Must be enrolled at an institute of higher education
- Must have completed at least two years at an American university
- Must have good German language skills (level required is dependent upon the field)
- Should have a minimum grade point average of 3.0
- Must have previously gained some kind of work experience
- Must be a US citizen or a foreigner completing a full degree in the USA
- First get in touch with Juliane Adameit, D.E.A. (at email@example.com call +49 (69) – 71 44 86 09)
- Application information, program facts, and application form can be downloaded from the website
- Deadline Summer: October of every year. Please check the website for details.
- Deadline Fall / Winter: March of every year. Please check the website for details.
- Due to the gov’t regulations, students should apply preferably six to eight months prior to their intended internship.
Juliane Adameit, D.E.A.
Mainzer Landstraße 176
60327 Frankfurt am Main
P. +49 (69) – 71 44 86 09
F. +49 (69) – 13 10 873