Travel abroad next summer with UCLA!
Enroll in 2 or 3 of the following courses:
- German 1, 3, 4, 5, 6
- German 141: Advanced language
- German 61A: Berlin and the German City (taught in English)
- German 102: 20th Century German History and Culture “Art, War, and Politics” (taught in English)
Language students will be able to practice skills in real life!
Professor Peter Tokofsky
Professor Chris Stevens
Summer Session A: (June 30th – July 27th,2019)
Take GE courses in German history, culture, art, and language. Learn through exploration in 4 of Europe’s great cities (and journey to Switzerland & The Black Forest).
- Follow in the footsteps of Gustav Klimt and Sigmund Freud
- Visit great museums
- Discover the modern architecture and design that transformed Europe and still shapes our cities today
- Explore how a cultural capital of Europe could give rise to avant-garde art as well as the Nazi party
- Learn about courageous students who resisted fascism
- Wander around Bavarian hills and lakes
- Explore how a city situated on the borders of France and Germany utilizes its diversity to drive a vibrant and creative culture
- Go on a tour of the old city, possibly including an exclusive visit to the underground headquarters of a Carnival club where all the preparations for the annual festival take place
- As Germany continues to heal from decades of war and division, Berlin is emerging as the capital of the New Europe, where arts and culture thrive, and political decisions affecting the world are debated. Spend about 2 weeks exploring this extraordinary city!
The Department of Germanic languages will offer 2-3 scholarships for this program! The UCLA International Education Office offers scholarships to cover full program fees!